Individual installations of SailfishOS will have access to different collections of software to handle variations in :
- releases: including testing & development releases
- hardware: device specific firmware variations
- geographic area: location specific firmware or software variations
- licensed software: purchased or otherwise authorised
- personal: an individual's development or community repositories
SSU provides both on-device software and a cloud service to authenticate devices/users and authorise access to services.
The on-device software registers with the cloud service and manages the zypper/packagekit repositories using the access tokens provided.